Monday, June 24, 2013

Classic

Classic:
-Belonging to the first or the highest rank
-Approved as a model
-Of lasting significance
-Adhering to standard and authoratative principles and form
-Balanced
-Formal
-Austere
-Recognized as a standard of excellence


Wowser!  Classic did not mean what I thought it meant.  I thought about this word all day, trying to fit it into my definition of what I thought it was.  Couldn't do it.  I'm glad I was incorrect in my definition, because I just couldn't grasp or connect to this word, otherwise.  But NOW.....well, now it's clearer.

I was a model to my children today--whether or not it was a good example, it's hard to say, as I was down most of the day with serious aches and pains and a migraine headache.  

I think the definition that really hit me with this word was "Of lasting significance".  Things are very black and white to me.  Almost no gray in the middle.  It is either right or wrong, good or bad.  My standards with general behavior are pretty high, and I've worked very hard to pass that along to my children.  When it comes to this type of thing, I am rather "classic".  Still, is it sinking into my children's heads?  Their hearts?  Have I taught them anything "of lasting significance"?  Am I learning anything of lasting significance?  Am I, myself, something of lasting significance?  I would like to be.  These words certainly make you think, that's for certain!

I tend to be austere. And rather formal.  Got that down pat.  But I tend to self-defeat, which would not indicate reaching high standards of excellence.  Sometimes I peter out, getting sloppy at the end of a project, or lazy with long-term goals.  That's why I like this program, as the blogging is something that, in order to do the program right, I have to be consistent and not poop out.  Blogging is teaching me discipline.  

That's another characteristic I believe falls under "classic".  Discipline.  From the definition above, I am certainly now of the opinion that being "classic" requires discipline.  And perseverence.  If you're going to run a race, finish the race.  If you're going to set a goal, meet the goal.  If I'm going to do this 90-day program, see it through to the glorious finish.  Classic!  

Interestingly enough, these words--though some of them BLATANTLY show me my weaknesses---never leave me feeling unworthy or bad.  I've been guilt-motivated my whole life, so that statement is really sayin' something.  I don't feel guilt for not be completely saturated in the perfection of each of these words.  I feel thoughtful, as I'm beginning to see myself for what I am more and more.  I thought I knew me.  The more I do this program, the more I realize I didn't know myself at all.  Getting re-acquainted with myself is quite pleasant.  I'm truly beginning to like me more and more.  What a concept!  :):):):)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment