Thursday, June 20, 2013

Thursday, June 20, 2013
C-word:  Cooperative

What an interesting word.  There is no solidarity with this word, no singular sovereignty.  An "operative" can stand on his/her own.  They "operate".  "Co-operative" has a clear indication of 2 or more "operating" together.

I tend to take words pretty serious, even literally.  Otherwise, what good are they?  "Cooperative" does not indicate "compliance" as modern dictionaries would imply.  It seems to me that compliance means compliance, nothing more, nothing less.  "Cooperative", on the other hand, indicates working together, cohesively and agreeably, to reach a common goal.

Do I do that?  Am I cooperative, working with another agreeably towards a common goal?  I believe I have done that today; with Bronwen, certainly, also with my sisters today.

Zach and I are in Oregon at Kelly's house.  Crystal was very cooperative in that she helped Kelly set up her blog tonight.  I helped pay for gasoline to get here.  Crystal contributed, as well.  Our common goal was to get here.  We are both cooperative, as we reached our goal by working together.

Too often I see people do their own thing, working independent of one another, trudging along....alone.  Wouldn't it be nice if we were all cooperative one with another, working towards a common goal?  I think it would be the stirrings of the beginnings of Zion.  I will be more cooperative and do my part for the greater whole.  Yep.  Gonna do it.

1 comment:

  1. I love you! LOL! "Yep. Gonna do it." So you.

    Me too. I'm in. And I fully agree, cooperative refers to co-op. You can't co-operate alone. You need a co. Someone to keep you company. Right?

    Compliance is a totally different thing. It goes to obedience. Co-operate. Yeah. operate with a co. Our language is so corrupt. I'm glad my mom has this old dictionary. It's so much more correct.

    ReplyDelete