Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Comely

comely

COMELY, a.
1. Properly, becoming; suitable: whence, handsome; graceful. Applied to person or form, it denotes symmetry or due proportion, but it expresses less than beautiful or elegant.

I have seen a son of Jesse--comely person. 1 Sam. 16.

I will not conceal his comely proportion. Job 41.
2. Decent; suitable; proper; becoming; suited to time, place, circumstances or persons.

Praise is comely for the upright. Ps. 33.

It is comely that a woman pray to God uncovered? 1 Cor. 11.

O what a world is this, when what is comely envenoms him that bears it.COMELY, adv. Handsomely; gracefully.


Um, I don't even have an inkling as to how to describe my day today.  Not a clue.  Nothing truly extraordinary happened.  Nothing of worldly notability.  I can't say that anything around me changed.  So why was today so....poignant(?)....for me?  

Ever had one of those days where you wake up and you know something significant has changed within you?  A day when you don't know when or why something changed, you just know it did?  Perhaps it had to do with the c-word yesterday---  "Changeable" --- and my statement that I was going to change.  I am coming to believe wholeheartedly that connecting with these words actually bring them into being in everyday life.  They actually happen.  Perhaps that is exactly what happened to me today.  

The day felt different for me from the moment I got up.  I looked at my new word today, "comely", and felt something inside me smile wisely, pleased.  I immediately felt connected to this word.  It wasn't something I felt on the outside.  I do not feel attractive or handsome, or all that proper.  I don't feel beautiful to the world in any way.  Just the opposite, in fact.  

Surprisingly, I am starting to feel all that on the inside, believe it or not.  It's like a lightbulb went on inside of me and all of the sudden I just seem to "get" things.  There are some things I've wondered all my life, and today a couple of those wonderings were resolved, as all of the sudden I just understood.  Several "aha" moments today, where gears shifted and ideas clicked into place and wheels turned and I felt suddenly enlightened.  Is this making any sense?  

Though I don't look it on the outside, inside I feel comely.  There is a quiet calm within, despite the many opportunities I've had today to be annoyed, irritated, insulted and downright justifiably angry.  But I didn't do any of those things today.  Instead, I felt an interesting feeling I don't think I've ever felt before.  I felt accepting of just about everything today.  Today I felt "suited to time, place, circumstance, or persons."  I don't think there's any way to portray that from one person to another without both parties experiencing it.  

I still feel it.  Even though I didn't meet the midnight deadline on having this word recorded on June 25, that it's going to show up on June 26 and look like I skipped a day, when I really didn't, I just didn't go to bed until almost 2am, is all, I still feel it.  It feels.....really good.  Sad things have happened to me today.  Mean things have happened to me today.  Unfair things.  Some really good things happened to me today, too.  And ya know what?  They're all okay.  I didn't cry when I was sad.  I didn't get angry when I was frustrated.  I didn't fly off the handle when I was treated unfairly.  I stayed in grace in all of these things.  Wow.  That's a first.  

I hope it's not going to be the last.  "Comely".  What an awesome word.

 

 

1 comment: