Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Content

content

CONTENT, a. [L., to be held; to hold.] Literally, held, contained within limits; hence, quiet; not disturbed; having a mind at peace; easy; satisfied, so as not to repine, object, or oppose.


Huh?  NOT the definition I was expecting!  This Latin word was unexpected.  I've been pondering it all day, wondering how it could apply.  I was thinking of it in the noun sense, not the adjective sense; and all the c-words are adjectives.  This word was a surprise to me. 

Held.  Contained within limits.  Well, let's see.  I wasn't contained within limits much today.  I was limited with how far I could go, in that I was shy on gasoline or the money to replenish it today.  So I guess I was contained within the limits of my gasoline budget.  Hmmm.

The rest of it made more sense to me. "...quiet: not disturbed: having a mind at peace; easy; satisfied, so as not to repine, object. or oppose." 

This was more in line of what I was thinking today.  Mostly to be satisfied and have my mind at peace.  I worked hard on it all day.  It was a choice for me, not just something that I simply allowed to happen today, unlike some of the other words.  So, that being said, perhaps the first part of that  definition "...held, contained within limits..." wasn't so far off anyway.  I had plenty of opportunities to be upset today.  We have an adopted son with mental illness and fetal alcohol syndrome, which makes him very selfish and demanding, making it incredibly difficult for him to have a moral compass, to choose right from wrong, even though he understands right and wrong.  He just doesn't care about anything but getting what he wants.  He has tried to push my buttons several times today, but I "held" my peace.  I decided to NOT be disturbed, to keep not only my bad reactions in check, or contained, but to allow my good feelings to put a genuine smile on my face.  I was under control, contained within limits.  He responded well to that, and the both of us are at peace for the time being. 

I also had the opportunity to laugh hysterically tonight, as well.  Even that I "contained within limits".  I was satisfied with the  genuine laughter that still made my eyes water, but didn't go overboard. 

I am very excited at some of the business prospects that are coming into view, but even held that peacefully.  I opposed no one today.  I objected to nothing today.  I was easy to be with, it was easy for me to be with others. I chose to be "content" with all that came along today, satisfied----with a sincere smile on my face.  I actually was at peace all day today. 

I am learning to be happy with what I have; to be at peace with all that is around me....for today, at least.   I think, just for a moment, I felt something within myself that I've always wanted:  True graciousness.  I've always wanted to be gracious, and this word helped give me a taste of it for a brief moment.  It was heavenly.

Know how many times in my life I've tried to accomplish just one day like today?  I've lost count, perhaps even given up on trying anymore.  But I'd never attached a word to it, just tried to randomly pull it off.  The power of focusing on that one word today accomplished for me what I was beginning to believe was impossible.  And it was almost EASY.  Wow.  Who'd have thunk?  I am very content with this word. 


No comments:

Post a Comment