Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Concise...

Wednesday, June 19, 2013
 c-word:  Concise

 

con·cise

[kuhn-sahys] Show IPA
adjective expressing or covering much in few words; brief in form but comprehensive in scope; succinct; terse:

Well, I am certainly concise.  Sometimes.  I'm very concise with my children...when I'm not lecturing them.  I'm doing better at that, actually.  I haven't lectured them for a very long time.  Sometimes I actually miss that glazed expression they get when I lecture....NOT!   

Concise was one of the things that others said is one of my strengths; taking long explanations and shortening them into better-understood sentences, that I"m very clear with words.  If they only knew how many words were going through my head at any given time.  It's staggering.  

I love words. I love their meanings, their power to affect change.  Perhaps that's why I love this 90-day program so much, because understanding the words help me to understand my use them, which leads me to understand me better.  

I believe that the word "concise" means to say exactly what you mean, no fluffy fru-fru words necessary to soften it.  I suppose that could come across as rather rude to some.  But I believe that being concise--not blunt, necessarily--is an indication of true honesty in a person.  Short, sweet, to the point.  Perhaps it can be seen as brusque, rude.  It is my feeling that if a person can't see "concise" for what it is, that person is perhaps too sensitive in their perception, too quick to take offense.  

Was I "concise" today?  Yes, I was, in several instances.  I went shopping for my son today, preparing to send him a care package in a couple of days.  I didn't waste time.  I just went in there, got what I needed, and came right out, moving onto the next phase in the day.  I believe it's possible to be "concise" with time, not just words.  Today I did both.  On the phone, in the store, at home, etc.  

Just a thought:  Concise seems a good way to get a point across, to get things done quickly and efficiently.  But does it leave any room for spontaneity?  Wow.  Never thought that before.  I'll have to give that some serious consideration.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment