Sunday, July 14, 2013

Eliminate Follow-up

Okay, this was an interesting day with this word.  It's one thing to think to eliminate something, it's another to actually DO it. 

Pride.  I want to eliminate pride.  Why, oh, why is pride so tenacious?  It hangs on with claws that dig in and the harder you try to throw it off, the tighter it clings.  Ew.  Sigh.  However, the interesting thing about pride is that it has a way of arrogantly throwing you out there for life to humble you.  At least that seems to be the case with me.

Actually, I am improving in this endeavor to eliminate pride.  I have been working on obtaining Christlike attributes for a couple of years now.  This has been a very earnest endeavor for me, as I desire to be worthy of great blessings from Heaven.  I want to be worthy to perform miracles, to heal, to effect change in the hearts of those around me.  I desire to be clean and pure---good to the core.  Pride has GOT to go. 

I almost got into an argument with my 14-yr-old son today.  Almost.  That is HUGE progress.  He was hankerin' for a knock down drag-out fight and I almost got snared.  But I saw it for what it was and was able to eliminate my need to be right and walk away.  That made him even more angry, as he tried to reel me in again.  The insults started in as he followed me around. 

I am not telling any of this so that you'll think badly of my son.  He really doesn't understand fully what he's doing.  I'm telling this so that I can describe MY behavior, MY reaction, MY decision in engaging or not engaging.  I swallowed my pride and walked.  Usually, I go off to a corner and mutter and complain for a couple of hours, but today that pride didn't even get 60 seconds out of me.  I eliminated it..  Completely.  However, though the battle may have been won, the war still rages; meaning, I will have more opportunities to swallow pride.  I'm sure something will bring it out in me day to day.  Well, I can choose to be bummed out over that, or choose to look forward to another battle to actually WIN, as I won today. So.....Yay!  I get to do this again tomorrow!  Yippee!

I also had opportunity to get into an argument with Jim.  I didn't.  We disagreed on a point of child-rearing.  Ouch.  No fighting this time.  He was ready to.  I kept my voice gentle, stayed in a place of love and grace. 
I win again!  Wow.  Two successes in one day! 

Now, if I can just keep my pride from making me cocky, that would be great.  Aauuugh!  Too late.  Sigh.  I guess I start eliminating again tomorrow.  Drat!

Happily, two successes are better than none.  This is progress!  Happy day!


No comments:

Post a Comment