Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Examine

examine

EXAM'INE, v.t. egzam'in. [L. examino, from examen.]





1. To inspect carefully, with a view to discover truth or the real state of a thing; as, to examine a ship to know whether she is sea-worthy, or a house to know whether repairs are wanted.
2. To search or inquire into facts and circumstances by interrogating; as, to examine a witness.
3. To look into the state of a subject; to view in all its aspects; to weigh arguments and compare facts, with a view to form a correct opinion or judgment. Let us examine this proposition; let us examine this subject in all its relations and bearing; let us examine into the state of this question.
4. To inquire into the improvements or qualifications of students, by interrogatories, proposing problems, or by hearing their recitals; as, to examine the classes in college; to examine the candidates for a degree, or for a license to preach or to practice in a profession.
5. To try or assay by experiments; as, to examine minerals.
6. To try by a rule or law.

Examine yourselves whether ye are in the faith. 2 Cor.13.
7. In general, to search; to scrutinize; to explore, with a view to discover truth; as, to examine ourselves; to examine the extent of human knowledge.





____________________________________________________________________


Let's just let me get it out there from the first:  These e-words are HARD!   They have to be approached WAY differently than what I got used to with the C-words.  This is taking more discipline than I thought it would, and a LOT more focus. 

That being said, they're way impressive, too.  To do this right, I've got to actually dig way deep down to do these.  Especially today's word.  Examine. 

Though our anniversary was last week, my husband and I celebrated today.  We went out to lunch, went window shopping, talked about our lives quite a bit.  We started talking about when we were newlyweds 21 years ago and our hopes and dreams back then.  Then we examined where we'd come to 21 years later.  Whoa.  Beyond an eye-opener.  Wow, have we changed.  Or, more accurately, our ideas and goals and energy levels have changed as parents and as a couple.  Perhaps even some of our priorities. 

Plus, I examined myself over the last couple of days.  What are MY goals?  MY hopes and dreams?  Have they changed?  I concluded that they have not.  They are the same.  However, how I'm accomplishing those goals is certainly changing----dramatically.  I am softer, kinder, gentler.  I am approaching life with more allowance of peoples' hangups and my own, as well.  I am learning, ever learning ways to improve my life, to bring me some inner peace and true fearlessness in the face of uncertainty.  I can't say I've succeeded completely with all of those, but upon further examination, I'll probably find I've made significant progress.  I hope, in my intense examination of my character, that I am learning more of how to love; how to love myself, others and all of creation.  That is my hope, and my efforts are certainly going into that. 

Examine is a good word.  A necessary word.  It shows me where I am, how far I've got to go, and what effort it's going to take to get there.  It's a great place to start, and a good thing to do throughout the journey. 

Yep.  A good word. 























No comments:

Post a Comment